Thursday, October 2, 2008

Value of a Friend

Proverbs 31:10 says "An excellent wife, who can find? For her worth is far above jewels."

But what is the worth of a best friend for life??

I contemplate this question each time I look for a birthday gift or Christmas gift for my bff. Everything I consider seems to be so trinket-like. It all says "for another year of being there everytime I call, lending your shoulder for to cry upon, cheering me up w/your real-life antedotal comedies, free sage advice and counsel, prayer when I'm downtrodden (again), and being in my corner no matter what - I bestow upon you this ever so cute knick-knack". (sigh)



Well, for this years knick-knack I found this cute figurine of two happy thin chicks standing on an envelope that reads Best Friends. Hmm...an envelope?? Yep. You see we met in 6th grade. When we were thin chicks. Now our children are past that age. We grew up, got married. She got carried away to other states by her man and I stayed put. So before the days of unlimited long distance, cell phones, email and text messages, we wrote letters. Long letters. Mood letters. They tell a tale of two young wives and moms, feeling our way through these wonderful and trying years w/very little in the way of a mother figure pouring into our lives. We were necessary for each other. We were blessed to be paired up. I kept all her letters and I imagine getting together someday in our white hair days and reading through some of them. We will read of times when we were worried about how our kids would turn out. Sure that we were ruining them or that their fathers were perhaps. Wondering if our marriages would stand the test of time. We can giggle over how we obsessed over things that weren't really THAT important in the grand scheme of time. We may grieve over some severed family ties or how we miss a certain era. But in the end, it will still be she and I, reminiscing, laughing, ruminating over the goodness and faithfulness of the Lord through it all and the incredible blessing of finding a best friend while still children and the joy of riding the rapids of life together.

FROM PUBERTY TO MENOPAUSE AND BEYOND!
Tarantarantarahhhhh!!!!

What is the worth of a best friend for life???

Priceless.
Happy Birthday, KAB!

No comments: